If you would like to get organized but don't know where to start, or have tried but haven't gotten very far, it's probably because you need to develop a storage system. I have four different sizes of plastic bins that I use to organize pretty-much everything in my house. I don't have a junk drawer anywhere because literally everything has a place it should be, all the way down to screws, nails and hair-ties. Let's look at them together. Each bin or tub is used to store one type/category of item by itself.
1. Large purple tubs-Target
2. Medium sized clear bins with blue lids-Target
3. Shoe box sized clear bins with blue lids-Target
4. Small boxes with dividers-Walmart
|We're moving so these were the first "boxes" packed|
My medium sized boxes are used to store smaller amounts of items. In our master bedroom closet, I line the top shelves with medium sized bins. Categories include: swimwear & sunscreen (it keeps it all together so I remember to bring the sunscreen when I go swimming), snowboard waxing kit (my husband waxes our boards himself to save money), toolbox, stationary, dark socks (I don't have room in my sock drawer for these and since I don't wear them as often, they get their own box), stamping supplies, craft supplies, my daughter's wooden puzzles, etc. If something outgrows a medium sized box, I will either split it between two medium sized boxes or move it up a size to a large purple tub.
|Hair ties & Barrettes|
|Screws & Washers|
|Nails, hooks, thumbtacks, etc.|
|Stacked in my closet|
It takes some time to develop a system like this but once you have it set up, it literally runs itself...as long as you and the members of your family use it. I can't tell you how many times my husband has thanked me for being so organized and always knowing where an item he needs is located.
If you'd like to try starting a system like this, here are a few tips to consider.
1. Think through what sort of bins/tubs you'd like to use. Whatever you pick now, you will probably continue to use for years so make sure you like it. I chose the opaque purple tubs because I didn't want to see what was in them. In hindsight, I probably would select a different large bin but what I have works so I'll stick with it.
2. Make sure you don't purchase seasonal tubs because they will change all the time and you won't be able to continue to add to it year after year.
3. Purchase bins at a place that you can go back to over and over. (This is why I use Target/Walmart). I really love the clear, stackable bins they have at The Container Store. However, I don't have one near me and don't want to order online and pay shipping so I don't use them. It's a great resource if you DO have one nearby though!
I hope this inspires you to find some areas of your home that can use some organization and gives you a place to start.