Saturday, March 12, 2011

Simple Kitchen Shortcut: Grating Cheese

When I'm in the kitchen, I'm always looking for ways to do things a little bit quicker and easier. One area I have simplified on many occasions is when I need grated cheese. I don't mind grating cheese with the hand held grater if I only have a little to grate. However, if I have a whole block of cheese that needs grating, I find it a bit tedious to grate it by hand. To save time and energy, I will pull out my Vita-mix, cube the cheese into approximately 1 inch squares and then I throw the cheese in and blend on a low speed. It crumbles it nicely which, in my book, is the equivalent of grated cheese. I don't usually throw all of the cheese in at once because it tends to compress into the corners once it's crumbled. I'll start with 1/2 to 3/4 cup and dump it out and add more when the first batch is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment